Air Sealing makes your insulation work better!
When air moves through insulation, it reduces the R-Value by as much as 50%! Sealing the holes in your attic and ducts is often the most cost effective way to improve energy efficiency and comfort, and should be the first energy efficiency improvement made to any home.
Your home has a BIG hole in it!
Even the best-built homes are vulnerable to gaps, cracks, joints and seams where air can squeeze through. When combined, these tiny areas of air infiltration can cause as much energy loss as leaving a window open all year round.
Many air leaks and drafts – like those around windows and doors – are easy to find. But holes hidden in attics, basements, and crawlspaces are much harder to locate and usually cause bigger problems. Due to pressure differences caused by stack effect, the holes in the attic are usually the most important ones to seal.
Check out our AirTight360 solution for a description of our process.
Sources of Air Leaks
- 40% – Attic
- 20% – Floors & Walls
- 15% – Ducts
- 8% – Doors
- 10% – Windows
- 5% – Fans and vents
- 2% – Electrical outlets
Common Symptoms of Air Leaks
You may not realize how much energy your home or office is losing, but you see it in your energy bills and you feel the drafts in winter and the humidity in summer. Air infiltration leads to:
- High energy bills – up to 30% higher heating and cooling costs
- HVAC System runs all the time – It just can’t keep you comfortable
- Drafts – especially around windows and doors
- Uneven room temperatures – creates cold or hot rooms
- Moisture – can cause excessive humidity or material damage and mold
- Allergens, dust, pollutants – can make your home unsafe and smelly
- Pests – insects such as cockroaches, spiders and ants
Benefits of Air Sealing
- Improves comfort – Keep the conditioned air you paid for in your home as long as possible
- Reduces energy bills – saves money on your heating and cooling energy costs
- Works forever – you install air sealing once and it performs for the life of your home
- Stops moisture – from developing in your crawlspace and humidity from entering your home
- Improves air quality – by preventing pollutants, allergens and pests from entering your home
What Air Sealing Includes
Sealing the sources of leaks and infiltration with caulk, spray foam, weather stripping will have a great impact on improving your comfort and reducing utility bills.
- Plumbing and wiring penetrations through floors, walls and ceilings
- Exterior and interior wall top plates
- Ducts in the attic or crawl space
- Rim or Band Joist
- Chimney penetrations through insulated ceilings and exterior walls
- Attic access hatches, doors and drop-down stairs
- Recessed can lights and bath fans in insulated ceilings
- Weatherstripping around windows and exterior doors
- Holes in drywall or plaster
- Trim around windows and doors; baseboard moldings
- Cantilevered floors
Why Choose Arbor Insulation Solutions Air Sealing Service?
Our Arbor Insulation Solutions Air Sealing process is an affordable way to achieve unsurpassed value and performance for your family or employees.